In this episode of the podcast I speak on location in Seattle, Washington at Jack Straw Studio with clarinetist Maryanne Lacaille. We discuss her playing and teaching career, her upbringing as a clarinetist, and what she loves about Uebel clarinets and ESM synthetic crystal mouthpieces. I would like to thank Moe-Bleichner Music Distribution for making the studio interview possible.
- What’s it like playing all over the world
- How do you market yourself?
- Maryanne’s day-to-day life in Seattle
- What is the main thing that you like your students to take from your lessons?
- Some of the teachers Maryanne worked with and the lessons she learned
- The importance of jazz improvisation and playing by ear
- Maryanne’s concept of the air and clarinet tone
- What Maryanne loves about Uebel Clarinets and ESM Mouthpieces
- The new Uebel E-flat clarinet
- Silverstein Ligatures
About Maryanne Lacaille
Clarinetist Maryanne Lacaille has garnered international attention for her virtuosity, creativity and command of her instrument producing rich lush phrasing and dynamic programming. Her international travels and ongoing practice and studies on diverse musical cultures has become part of the fabric and force behind her performances.
Her travels to over 30 countries including Hong Kong, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Central America, Mumbai, Cuba, Jakarta, Indonesia and most recently Manila, Samoa, Auckland and Sydney for performances and research projects have given new insight into how versatile the clarinet and literature interpretation can become. ICA 2014 and ICA 2016 touted her lush tone as “remarkable” by “D’ADDARIO and Ernst Schreiber Uebel Clarinets.
She has held principal clarinet chairs with Seattle Philharmonic Orchestra, Federal Way Symphony and Mahler Festival Orchestras, Phantom of the Opera National Tour and West Side Story Orchestra European Tours. In December 2016 Maryanne performed chamber music in recital at the Dubai World Trade Center and presented masterclasses at the Mozart Center for the Arts.
Maryann Lacaille is sponsored by Silverstein Ligatures, D’ADDARIO and Moe-Bleichner Distribution.