Join the Conversation
- Join the Clarineat Facebook Community
- Questions? Comments? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take part in the Clarineat Book Club!
Upgrade to the Gold EditionAll Patreon backers get early access to extended ad-free, high resolution audio episodes, bonus content, and more.
On this episode of the podcast, Clark W. Fobes discusses his professional playing and doubling career (including what it’s like to play on movie soundtracks), and his world-renown line of mouthpieces, barrels, and bells. We go into great detail about the art of his craft, and Clark even shares some information about some exciting upcoming products.
Get your Free Debut Mouthpiece
Clark is so confident that his “Debut” clarinet and saxophone mouthpieces are the finest quality student mouthpieces that he is willing to provide ONE free sample to qualified teachers. For more information, including determining your eligibility please see the following link. (This offer is only valid within the continental United States.)
- Why Clark loves San Francisco
- What it’s like to perform on movie soundtracks
- How did he get into mouthpiece making?
- What kinds of adjustments affect a mouthpiece
- Clark’s student, intermediate, and professional mouthpiece lines
- The new 10K Mouthpiece Series
- Clark’s barrels came to be
- The new rubber-lined barrel
- Discussion about cracking
- The E-flat and C clarinet extensions
- Will B-flat extensions become available?
- The upcoming Clark W. Fobes bell
- American Mouthpiece Makers
- Minor Correction: Clark actually met Zinner in 2001, not 1991.
- Movies: Jurassic Park 3, Inspector Gadget, Ratatouille, Mars Attacks
- Clark W. Fobes Debut Mouthpieces
- Clark W. Fobes Nova Mouthpieces
- Clark W. Fobes Zinner Blank Mouthpieces
- Clark W. Fobes NEW 10K Mouthpiece
- Clark W. Fobes Barrels
- Clark W. Fobes E-flat and C clarinet extensions
About Clark W. Fobes
Clark W Fobes received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from C.S.U., Fresno in 1976 and his Masters of Music Degree from the San Francisco Conservatory of Music in 1983.
Mr. Fobes has had a very active career as a clarinetist in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1981 performing regularly with the San Francisco Opera Orchestra, San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Ballet Orchestra, and the California Symphony.
An accomplished clarinet doubler, Mr. Fobes has often been called upon to play bass clarinet, contra bass clarinet, basset horn and Eb soprano clarinet. He plays the bass clarinet/contra bass clarinet chair with the Skywalker Ranch Orchestra and can be heard on numerous movie soundtracks.
Clark W Fobes is recognized as one of the premier makers of clarinet mouthpieces and barrels for the clarinet. His products are used by musicians all over the world.
Clarineat Podcast Production Team:
- Sean Perrin, Host and Founder
- Andrew Morrow, Debate Co-Host
- Brian Schappals, Audio Editor
- Meghan Taylor, Copy Editor
- Bret Newton, Research Assistant
- Tony Park, Social Media
- Josh Ng
- Karen Doty
- Patty Selenski
- William Enwright